In my previous post, I highlighted bag designs you can purchase online from Etsy sellers who allow you to sell the bags you make. There is much more to the world of bag-making, however, such as knowing where to find bag hardware. Most of your local fabric stores provide a basic assortment of bag handles, D-rings, zippers, magnetic clasps and maybe even purse feet. If you’re looking for something a little more unique, however, online shopping is probably your best bet. I’ve collected 16 different sources below, all of them on Etsy, that will help you get started. Always check the feedback rating when you shop this way, since small items can easily become lost in transit, and that’s when you’ll be relying on good customer service to remedy the situation. Just click on the photo to visit this treasury. If the item has sold, you can still visit any of these shops to look for alternatives.
Looking for bag-making tips, tutorials, videos, patterns or supplies? You may find the following online resources helpful:
- Atkinson Designs, by Terry Ann Atkinson
- Emmaline Bags & Patterns, by Janelle MacKay
- Ghee’s, by Linda McGehee
- Henrietta’s Handbags
- Lazy Girl Designs, by Joan Hawley
- Top 10 Creative Designer Bag Sewing Tips, by Nancy Zieman
- U-Handbag, by Lisa Lam of The Bag-MakingÂ Bible
- Whistlepig Creek Productions, by Susan Marsh
Finally, bag-making help is as close as your library and local or online bookstore.Â Whatever type of bag you like to wear or tote, these great titles will have you sewing professional-looking bags in no time at all!
- Fast, Fun and Easy Fabric Bags: 10 Projects to Suit Your Style, by Pam Archer
- Bag Boutique: Making Fabulous Purses and Totes, by Amy Barickman
- Simple and Sensational Purses From Placemats! Quick & Easy! : 13 Designs You Can Make in an Afternoon, by Ricki Bremer
- Dual Pursenalities, More Sensational Purses from Placemats, by Ricki Bremer
- 21 Terrific Patchwork Bags, by Susan Briscoe
- Amy Butler’s Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags, by Amy Butler
- Lunch Bags!: 25 Handmade Sacks & Wraps to Sew Today, by Design Collective
- Bags in Bloom: Create 20 Unique Flower Purses with Simple Embroidery Stitches and Easy-to-Sew Patterns, by Susan Cariello
- Quilted Bags & Totes, by Denise Clason
- Designer Style Handbags: Techniques and Projects for Unique, Fun, and Elegant Designs from Classic to Retro, by Sherri Haab
- Quilted Bags in a Weekend, by Ellen Kharade
- The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Guide to Sewing and Customizing Your Own Unique Bags, by Lisa Lam
- A Bag for All Reasons: 12 all-new bags and purses to sew for every occasion, by Lisa Lam
- The Perfect Bag: 101 Stylish Looks from Simple Patterns,by Linda McGehee
- Embroidered Bags & Purses, by Sally Milner
- Patchwork Bags, by Chuck Nohara
- Sew and Go Totes, by Kristine Poor
- Hold It!: How to Sew Bags, Totes, Duffels, Pouches, and More, by Nancy Restuccia
- Handmade Embroidered Bags, Jenny Rolfe
- Low-Sew Boutique: 25 Quick & Clever Projects Using Ready-Mades, by Cheryl Weiderspahn
- Sew Easy Designer Bags & Totes, by Barbara Weiland
- Sew Serendipity Bags: Fresh and Pretty Projects to Sew and Love, by Kay Whitt
- Sew Clever Bags, by Nancy Zieman
If you’d like to add to this resource list, or tell us about a favorite resource, please comment below.
Â© 2013 Judy Nolan. All rights reserved.
3 thoughts on “Where to find bag-making hardware & notions, plus MORE bag-making resources”
Great list, full of lots of things.
Great resources! Thank you!
Ooooh, thanks for sharing all of the tutorials! I’ve been meaning to practice my sewing skills for a while now and making a bag would be a great way to start.